Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
Payment Assistance is AvailableIf you're having trouble paying your utility bill, you could qualify for assistance.
The 2022 LIEAP application period is from Monday, January 3, 2022, through Thursday, March 31, 2022.
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federally funded program that provides financial assistance to Kansas low-income households each year to help them meet the costs of home energy.
All LIEAP assistances are subject to available funding by the Federal government.
Kansas Gas Service is partnering with the following agencies to provide LIEAP application assistance to all Kansas customers who may be eligible for these federal funds.
You do not need to be a Kansas Gas Service customer to attend and receive assistance in completing your application.
- 3/2/2022 Catholic Charities 9806 W 87th St, Overland Park, KS 66212 (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- 3/3/2022 Community Resource Clinic 1020 NE Forest Ave, Topeka, KS 66605 (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- 3/9/2022 NEKCAP Atchison 509 Commercial St, Atchison, KS 66602 (9 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- 3/10/2022 Community Resource Council 455 SE Golf Park Blvd, Topeka, KS 66605 (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- 3/17/2022 Community Resource Council 455 SE Golf Park Blvd, Topeka, KS 66605 (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
Please bring the following items:
- Copies of all proof of income for all permanent individuals in the home who are 18 years or older
- Copies of utility bills (gas, electric, propane, wood, etc.)
Am I Eligible for Payment Assistance?
Eligibility requirements for LIEAP are based on income, household size, available resources and responsibility for payment of home energy costs. Everyone who resides under the same utility service address must apply together. If you or anyone resides in your home are a Native American, you may apply for energy assistance through DHS or with your tribe, but you cannot receive assistance from both during the same Federal Fiscal Year.
To qualify for LIEAP assistance, you must meet each of the following requirements:
- Be responsible for payment home heating and cooling costs.
- Be a United States citizen or have been an eligible legally admitted person for permanent residence.
- Demonstrate a recent history of qualifying payments toward the purchase of heating energy.
- Meet specific income guidelines that vary according to household size and fuel type.
Income Eligibility Guidelines
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Monthly Income|
|+1 -- $568 for each additional person|
Benefit levels vary according to the following factors:
- Household income
- Number of persons living at the address
- Type of dwelling
- Type of heating fuel
You can submit an online application at the Kansas Department of Children and Families website.
Visit the LIEAP site
To learn more about LIEAP, additional information can be found by:
- Calling toll free at 1-800-432-0043
- Visiting the Kansas Department of Children and Families website
- Reviewing commonly asked questions about the LIEAP program
Apply for LIEAP