Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
Payment Assistance is AvailableIf you're having trouble paying your utility bill, you could qualify for assistance.
The 2021 LIEAP application period is from Monday, January 4, 2021, through Wednesday, May 28, 2021. Applications must be received prior to 5:00 p.m., May 28, 2021.
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federally funded program that provides financial assistance to Kansas low-income households each year to help them meet the costs of home energy.
All LIEAP assistances are subject to available funding by the Federal government.
Am I Eligible for Payment Assistance?
Eligibility requirements for LIEAP are based on income, household size, available resources and responsibility for payment of home energy costs. Everyone who resides under the same utility service address must apply together. If you or anyone resides in your home are a Native American, you may apply for energy assistance through DHS or with your tribe, but you cannot receive assistance from both during the same Federal Fiscal Year.
To qualify for LIEAP assistance, you must meet each of the following requirements:
- Be responsible for payment home heating and cooling costs.
- Be a United States citizen or have been an eligible legally admitted person for permanent residence.
- Have $2,000 for one person or $3,000 for two persons, and $50 for each additional person in the household or less in the form of cash on hand, checking or savings accounts, certificates of deposits, stocks, or bonds.
- Meet specific income guidelines that vary according to household size and fuel type.
Income Eligibility Guidelines
|Household Size||Maximum Income Level (Per Year)|
|+1 -- $560 for each additional person|
Benefit levels vary according to the following factors:
- Household income
- Number of persons living at the address
- Type of dwelling
- Type of heating fuel
You can submit an online application at the Kansas Department of Children and Families website.
Visit the LIEAP site
To learn more about LIEAP, additional information can be found by:
- Calling toll free at 1-800-432-0043
- Visiting the Kansas Department of Children and Families website
- Reviewing commonly asked questions about the LIEAP program
Apply for LIEAP