Carbon Monoxide Awareness
Know What to DoUnderstand prevention tips and know the symptoms of carbon monoxide.
When appliances are installed properly and operating efficiently, natural gas burns cleanly, with little residue. However, if your natural gas appliance is not operating efficiently or not vented properly, carbon monoxide can be produced.
Carbon monoxide, also called CO, is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can make you sick and, in some circumstances, may be deadly. Carbon monoxide is created by the incomplete or improper burning of fuel.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Yellow flame instead of a blue flame on appliance burners
- Black soot around vents, flues, furnace filters, burners or appliance access openings
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in the ears, fatigue, increased perspiration, nausea, weakness and vomiting
Helpful prevention tips
- Install and maintain a carbon monoxide detector
- Check and maintain proper ventilation of flue and chimney
- Do not use a stove, oven or range to heat your home
- Don't use a space heater to heat your home that is not designated for safe indoor use
What to do if You suspect carbon monoxide poisoning
- Immediately leave the building you are in and get outside to fresh air
- Call 911 or call your local fire or police department and if necessary, request medical assistance
- Do not re-enter the building until it has been determined safe by emergency response personnel
- Immediately seek medical assistance for any symptoms, even those you think are minor