Kansas Gas Service encourages residents in communities affected by recent tornado and storm damage to keep safety in mind.
"As people return to their homes and businesses to assess the damage and remove debris, it’s important to take steps to help ensure their personal safety,” said Sean Postlethwait, vice president of operations for Kansas Gas Service. “Our thoughts are with the Andover community as they start to rebuild, and we want to prevent additional hazards that can happen in the aftermath of a natural disaster."
Tips to keep you safe after the storm:
- If you smell a natural gas odor or hear a hissing sound, leave the area immediately, then call 911 and the Kansas Gas Service emergency line at 888-482-4950.
- Before you do any digging, call 811 or submit a request at Kansas811.com to locate underground natural gas pipelines and other utility lines.
- If your natural gas meter was turned off or your service was interrupted during severe weather, call 888-482-4950 to have your service restored.
- DO NOT attempt to turn your natural gas meter back on. Before gas can be safely turned back on, our technicians must check all visible and accessible natural gas appliances.
- Before you begin cleanup, please identify where your natural gas meter is so that you can avoid damaging it.
- During cleanup, be aware of your surroundings and be careful around natural gas meters and pipelines.
- If you are concerned about the condition of piping or appliances within your home, please call a qualified service agent for an inspection.
For more severe weather safety tips, click here.