Winter Weather Safety

The accumulation of snow and ice increases the potential for damage to natural gas meters, regulators and other above-ground pipeline facilities. Keep exhaust and combustion air vents of natural gas appliances clear of snow and ice to maintain smooth operation and prevent carbon monoxide from entering homes and other structures. 

Extreme care should be taken when removing ice or snow from such vents. When possible, use a broom instead of a shovel to avoid damage, and never stand or climb on unsafe ground or surfaces to reach vents.

If you smell natural gas or hear a hissing sound: 

  • Leave the area immediately.  
  • Do not use electrical equipment.  
  • Call 911 and Kansas Gas Service at 888-482-4950.  

To report a natural gas odor or emergency, leave the area immediately and then call 911 and 888-482-4950.